Friday, January 25, 2008

Nigeria vs Mali - Another Pathetic Result

The Super Chickens (sorry, Super Eagles) of Nigeria, in another pathetic performance this evening, succeeded in showing the whole world that they don't have what it takes to win the African Cup of Nations.

I watched the match in a "joint", and the barrage of invectives that was hurled at the Nigerian players and their coach was enough to make even a seasoned bus conductor flinch.

The players were at their laziest best, and the football was just terrible. Completely uninspiring, and a complete waste of time. Who on earth ranked these guys as the best in Africa? In my opinion, they don't even come among the first 15 teams. Enyimba would easily thrash them.

For those who felt the first half was bad, the second half was utter rubbish. The players were busy strolling round the pitch, and the Malians were having a field day, taking their time to punch holes in our seemingly non-existent defense.

One thing I couldn't help noticing was the constant look of amusement on the assistant referee"s face. The guy was always grinning at our feeble attempts at goal. I can't blame him anyway. The whole Nigerian team is one big joke.

Congratulations to Seydou Keita for his stellar performance, and (of course) congratulations to our own Yakubu Aiyegbeni for finally figuring out how to put the ball inside the net, even if it was an offside goal.

I just can't understand Aiyegbeni, but of course the same still goes for the whole team. I feel like channeling my fury at Berti Vogts, but fortunately for him, he's in Ghana.
Berti, if you can hear me, when you finish, don't even bother to come back to Nigeria. We'll ship all your leftover stuff to you.
I think this kind of result from a foreign coach will teach the NFA to appreciate Nigerian coaches.

I won't even waste any more of my time talking about those guys. I hope they actually get to watch replays of their game. They're a sad lot, our Eagles. Very sad.

No comments: