Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Super Eagles - Not So Super Anymore

I just didn't feel like blogging today. I watched yesterday's Nations Cup match with high hopes but the lackluster performance of the Super Eagles completely dampened my enthusiasm.

I guess they proved their critics right. The Ivoriens played against a somewhat slow Nigerian side which was at its disorganized best. There were some brief flashes of skill and all that, but the overall performance was poor. We even had one player (I think Aiyegbeni) tripping over a pass. He ended up on his face. That never happens to him at his club, Everton.
Nigerian players show little drive when playing for their country and they generally looked lazy on the field yesterday. They weren't in any particular hurry.

Cameroun suffered a 4 - 2 defeat at the hands of the Egyptians this evening, and it was another little shocker. Most people expected the Lions to do better than that. I guess the big boys have their work cut out for them in this particular tournament, if they intend to get anywhere near the finals.

I think I'll just sign off here.

No comments: